Burnout occurs in stages. According to Freudenberger and North, there are twelve of them. What are the early warning signs that stress has accumulated and its affects lingering? Consider these early warning signs leading to burnout.
- Do you dread going to work every day, it is going to be a bad day?
- Do you second-guess yourself, because it feels like a waste to care?
- Are you exhausted all the time?
- When you do have energy, or are you are too depressed to move?
- Do you feel sick a lot?
- Do you suffer from frequent back pains and head ache?
- Has there been a change in sleep habits?
- Have you lost your appetite?
- Are you withdrawing from your responsibilities?
- Are you seeing the world in an increasing negative way?
These questions are the basic early signs that burnout is starting to set in. If you answer yes to most of these questions then you need to use all your Frequent Flyer miles and head to Hawaii. If you answer yes to all of them then we strongly suggest that you seek professional help. While it is a primarily a mental problem, untreated burnout has physical ramifications on the body, leaving one susceptible to both flu and cold.
Is your organization riddled with burnout? Contact Jumpstart:HR and find out ways to help put out the fire of stress and burnout.
Burnout Week is brought to you by Richard Ludvigsen (@HRmagician), Jumpstart:HR HR Generalist and HR Project Manager:
- Monday: Stress v. Burnout
- Tuesday: The Top 10 Symptoms of Burnout – Identifying Burnout
- Wednesday: Causes for Burnout in the Workplace
- Thursday: Symptoms of Burnout
- Friday: How to Recover from Burnout