I shared this answer on LinkedIn and it was chosen as a Best Answer. Here are the top three reasons why communication fails in an organization and how to fix it:
Communication fails for three reasons:
1) Lack of clarity in the message of the presenter.
2) Lack of comprehension or misinterpretation by the receiver.
3) Assumption by presenter that receiver has shared knowledge/background on material being communicated and therefore critical fundamental/contextual pieces are omitted.
How to fix this:
1) The presenter must state at the beginning what they intend to cover/communicate.
2) The presenter must ask the receiver to repeat back the message and mutually agree that message was understood.
3) Ensure that on-going lines of communication are established in the event that questions arise.
If you would like consultation on effective communication, contact us.
Do you have any other advice on how to communicate effectively? Got an example of bad communication? Would love to hear your insight!